After the Magisk method is published, the root process is simple to compare with conventional methods. Yet it’s got its limits. We can’t use custom ROMs unless we have some custom recovery enabled. So, even after users have access to root, they prefer the TWRP method when it is released. Samsung Galaxy M31 comes with upper mid-range specs and can handle all of the apps. But if you need root access, you can use the following method to root your Samsung Galaxy M31 Android 10. Since we use custom recovery in this phase, you can install any necessary custom ROMs on your mobile device.
Compare with standard other root methods, this method has additional steps. So, You should care a little bit when you do the process. Since it doesn’t use a custom recovery, You can’t install custom ROMs. But, It is enough to run most of the root apps.
After root, you lose the official alerts. You need to update your smartphone manually. So, you should know why you need to do this before continuing with the process. If you are a frequent user, you can try some alternatives that do not require root for your function. If you are a frequent user and developer of root apps, you can follow the guide below to get root on your smartphone.
Root and Install TWRP on Samsung Galaxy M31 Android 10 One UI 2.0, 2.5 (SM-M315F)
Thanks to the developer- afaneh92 for the Root method and topjohnwu – this genius is the one who discovered and maintained Magisk. Samsung Galaxy M31 variants come with a flexible bootloader in some regions. It means that the smartphone can be easily rooted. The device can also accept installing TWRP recovery or any other custom recovery file/app. Don’t try with Snapdragon US Variants like Verizon devices. They come with a locked Bootloader.
But In the below method, we are going to Root this device by using Magisk. You can install Official TWRP using the official app when it is released. TWRP recovery is a custom recovery file that must be installed on your devices because you can root them successfully. This article explained the easiest method to follow and install Magisk on Samsung Galaxy M31. However, the tool required for rooting this device is the Magisk App.
Once available, you can flash TWRP. With the support of TWRP Recovery, you can easily flash Custom ROMs to your Samsung Galaxy M31. Before sharing a tutorial, you may want to know that you can easily install any root apps with Magisk on your computer. Does that sound complicated? Relax; everything will be briefly explained in the bullets.
Things to check out for;
- Check your device model number.
- You should Backup your current files and data- Full Data Loss Process (save them on external storage).
- Install Latest Magisk Manager.
- Make sure your device battery is above 50%
- You cannot use Samsung Pay, Secured folder, and some official apps from Samsung.
- You can’t update your firmware; to get new firmware, you must follow the below steps with the latest firmware.
- Read the full tutorial before the process.
Enable USB Debugging Mode and OEM Unlock on your mobile. To do this, go to settings >>> about >>> Tap on the “Build Number” 7-10 times consistently to enable “Developer Options,” then go to the “Developer Options” and enable USB Debugging Mode and OEM Unlock. There is no complicated process in the Samsung Galaxy M31.
Switch off your device. Enter into Download Mode-> Volume Down+ Volume Up and Connect your mobile with PC using USB Cable. When the Download mode warning screen Appears, Press the Volume Up button to unlock Bootloader.
The above process will wipe your user data. After Setup your device, Please recheck the OEM Unlock in the settings. Sometimes It Will Lock Again.
- Download and install the Samsung USB driver to your computer system.
- Also, download the ODIN software. Select the above Oreo version in the ODIN list. Install ODIN on your PC.
- Download TWRP-Samsung-M31-A10.tar and rename the file to recovery.tar, copy it on your PC.
- Download Multi disabler.zip and Magisk.zip files (Don’t download .apk file) copy them on your Pendrive With OTG Cable. You can refer to the uses of OTG. (Or, you can prefer an external SD Card).
- Download Samsung Galaxy M31 Android 10 Firmware and save it on your PC. Your Current OS version and Downloaded Version AP and CSC should be the Same.
- You can use Phone Info to know your firmware version.
Prepare patched boot image file
Download 7Zip-ZS, LZ4, and Install both on your PC. Extract the files in downloaded firmware using 7Zip-ZS. You will get four files. Click on the AP File and Extract again. You will get some data along with the boot.img.lz4.
Copy the boot.img.lz4 and Vbmeta.img.lz4 to LZ4 Installed folder. Convert the lz4 file to a .img file by dragging the .img file to the lz4 application file. You have to drag the file to that application. The script will automatically convert the file to .img format. After the conversion, Copy the boot — img file to your mobile. Leave Vbmeta in the PC folder.
Download Magisk Manager (Download Latest version) or Magisk canary and Install it on your mobile. Open Installed Magisk and Select Install in Magisk; it will ask For a zip file and Patch Boot Image File. Select the Boot Image file.
Navigate to your copied boot image file and patch the file.
Wait for the process to complete, in the end, you will get a magisk patched .img file. Rename this file into the boot.img.
Now copy boot. img and Vbmeta. img files to your PC. We already leave the Vbmeta. img file on PC. Drag those files into the downloaded TWRP.tar file. Now you can see there are three files within the TWRP.tar file. Don’t extract the data. The three files contain a single .tar file that should be flashed using ODIN.
Flash TWRP.tar with ODIN
- Connect your USB cable with your PC. Switch off your device. Then, enter into Download mode. To do this, press and hold Volume Down+ Volume Up Buttons and Connect Your Mobile To PC via USB Cable; after Samsung Logo Appear, Release all keys.
- Press the Volume Up button to continue when you see the warning message.
- Now, connect the Samsung Galaxy M31 mobile to the computer via USB cable.
- Launch the Odin app on your computer. If the device is detected by this app (Odin), it will show you a message that reads – added!!!
- However, if the device is not correctly connected to the PC, you won’t see this message. So, you have to check the USB cable if it is reasonable and reconnect the device.
- After connecting the Samsung device, click on the PDA/PA/AP button to browse/search and get the TWRP from where you saved it on your PC. Also, navigate to “options” and Un-tick the Auto-Reboot.
- Click on “Start”
- Once the file is loaded into the device, reboot your device.
Now you have just Installed the TWRP on your Samsung Galaxy M31. We installed TWRP. Don’t turn on your mobile.
Immediately, move to Magisk Installation steps.
Press the Volume Down+Power button to exit Download mode and quickly press Volume Up+ Volume Down+ Power Button to boot into Recovery mode.
Install Magisk on your Samsung Galaxy M31 with TWRP
- Now you are in TWRP Recovery Mode.
- Select Wipe->Advance Wipe->Select Cache Data. You can also take complete backup using TWRP. It will help you when something goes wrong.
- Return to Home of TWRP select Install.
- Select Multi disabler.zip.
- Return to Home of TWRP select Install.
- Select Magisk.zip.
- You should Install them One by One. Don’t add more zips feature in TWRP. After the Installation, Reboot Your Mobile.